Monday, September 17, 2012

Errol Morris, this is sad.

  • I am a fan of Errol Morris.
  • I believe that there are innocent people rotting in prisons all over the country. 
  • I have no doubt that we, as a people, have sent innocent people to their deaths.
  • I think that you can be a total douche and still not be a murderer.

All that being said, I can't for the life of me figure out why Errol Morris picked the MacDonald bandwagon to pounce upon. In his new book A Wilderness of Error, Morris rides that old Helena Stoeckley hobby horse hard for five hundred some odd pages.

My opinion? In a nutshell, Helena Stoeckley was a false confessor. Of the three common types of false confessions I believe she fell into two of the categories. Voluntary false confessor- she got attention for saying she was there. Internalized false confessor- I believe at some point after having viewing the crime scene photos over and over again, she may have become convinced that she was there. Her statements evolved to fit any new theory of whomever was handling her at the moment.

I'll get into it more deeply in upcoming posts, but Stoeckley gave a new version of events every time she "confessed".  They were there for drugs, they were there to scare Dr. MacDonald, she was part of a satanic cult, etc.

I would love to have to eat my words. I would love to think that Colette didn't have to fight to the death protecting her baby from the one man that should have done anything to protect them both. I would love to find out that baby Kristen didn't have to try to ward off an attack from her daddy with her tiny little hands while laying on his lap. That's what haunts me most of all. If what I believe is true, Jeffrey MacDonald walked into his little girl's room beat her mother to at least unconsciousness, then took that baby in his lap and stabbed her. Turned her over and stabbed her some more. Then tucked her in.

I want someone to explain to me why drug crazed hippies tucked both children back into bed. It makes no sense. It's what parents do when they kill. It still makes little sense, but that's what they do.

Oh well, enough of this stream of consciousness for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment